Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants

Prensky mentioned that one of the big factors for the changing thinking patterns for students is because of technology. Prensky mentioned that children from now and so on are going to be growing up with technology throughout their entire lives, rather than a part of it (big or small). I had grown up with technology but was not exposed to it as much as I am now. Growing up, I would not have been able to take online classes or I would just start learning about new social media apps. Over the last few years, I have noticed that more technology is also being introduced in movies, for example, He’s All That (2021). Prensky also mentions that some teachers believe that they can use the same teaching styles to all students (from the students who are familiar with technology and without technology). Students had to adapt to technology over time (from writing to using the typewriter) however, not everyone had an easy time with doing this. When the pandemic had hit, I had to go from attending school all in-person for eleven years, to going all online for my last year of high school. At first, I was not a fan of online classes and zoom meetings (I didn't even know how google docs worked at the time) as well as not being in a “class setting.” Prensky believed that digital immigrants are more “logical thinkers,” since they had grown to adapt to technology. Whereas digital natives tend to be more adequate with multitasking and social skills. When going through this big change for my school environment, I did have to pay more attention to the format and requirements for my assignment as well as learning new programs so that I would be able to pass my classes. For example, I did not know Blogger was a program and had spent a day learning how to add pictures to my blogs. The link that I had provided below, shows a blog that describes the difference between digital natives and digital immigrants and how the work environment is affected by both participants.


Difference between Digital Immigrants and Digital Natives: https://www.moflixgroup.com/blog/customer-experience-in-times-of-digital-natives 



Krischner believed that people cannot multitask, unlike Prensky’s findings (for digital natives). Prensky’s thought that since digital natives are attached to technology, which would eventually lead to them being able to adapt to technology easier and allow them to perform different tasks at the same time. Krischner did not think that this was true, he thought that if people kept up with multitasking, then eventually they would have to slow down at some point (since there is a lot of information to take in and your brain will be saying that it “needs a break.”) For example, when I started online school for college I found out that I was able to get homework done at a faster pace, however I was not retaining the information as much as I was while I was in in-person school. Overtime, I would see myself trying harder to be able to get more assignments done, rather than take in all of these pieces of information and relating it to myself and my education. I would sometimes listen to podcasts about learning how to develop time management skills, however, I would always fall back into the same pattern of thinking. I would be thinking that if I start working on two assignments at the same time, that I would get more done, although I would eventually be taking more time (since I would have to take more breaks to process everything). Krischer also believed that digital natives did not exist, unlike Prensky (who did believe). This is since all the “digital natives” are using the same sources of technology as everyone else and not as advanced. In the link that I provided below, explains Krischners finding and why he believes that Prensky’s findings are inaccurate.

Krischner's Finding:










Comments

Popular Posts