Research Podcast

 The podcast that I had decided to evaluate was on Pick the Brain and was called, "How to Communicate More Effectively," by Erin Falconer and Jeremy Fisher. In this podcast Erin gives out a list of her favorite tips for communication which has relations for the book, "Communicating Online," by Julia Green. The first tip that Erin had discussed was "timing." Erin had stated, "that comedians have mastered the art of timing...and feed out of their audience (Erin, 2:34) This tip plays into chapter 13 of, "Communication Online," when Julia had discussed for giving out a good delivery speech, you need timing, rhythm and momentum. For my presentations in high school, I would always write out my main focus points for presentations, and time myself on the length of discussing each topic . This was so that I know an approximate time for each topic and keep track of the flowless. As well seeing if each topic was covered enough and making sure I do not go over my assigned timing. 



The next tip that Erin had given was to write down importing topics you want to discuss, rather than remembering word for word (Erin, 3:47). When I was in junior high, I was given an assignment that had to be at least eight minutes long. I had never given a presentation this long before, which had made me very nervous. However, I wanted to get the presentation over with so I had decided to volunteer first and my timing was around nine minutes (since I had decided to remember my entire speech word for word and got stuck at some points). Since this had happened I was expected to loose points for not following directions, however, since I went first I did not lose any points. Ever since I had always practiced my speech more and more, while making even more sure that I am on track with. Even though I was impressed with myself for remembering a nine minute speech, I would have rather make sure that I followed directions more. In, "Communicating Online," Julia had described the different types of speeches (speaking impromptu, memory, manuscripts and extemporaneously).



The next tip from Erin was discussing about how listening is just as important as writing down important key topics (Erin, 4:46). Whenever I had to listen to a presentation in high school, I had usually tend to stop listening to the presentations right after I was done with mine. I would get so nervous about mine to where I would not even pay attention to other presentations and sometimes even my own (when we had to present in groups). However, when I had taken my small group communication course in community college, I had found out that everyone payed attention (word for word) when listening to other groups. I had always though that in school projects, everyone had only slightly payed attention. However, after I had to give a presentation on the spot, a lot of people afterword had commented on how well I had done (even though I was put on the spot and had no time to prepare). I still think about what had happened and started to pay more attention to my listening. Making eye contact and not interrupting the speaker are great tools for learning how to listen to presentations, (Listening as a communication tool-explained, n.d.) In the link that I had provided below gives a more detailed list of what makes a good listener and what doesn't. It also gives information about how you want to listen for a reason.  




                                                                        Works Cited 

    Green, J. M. (2017). Communicating online. McGraw Hill Education Create.

Listening as a communication tool - explained. The Business Professor, LLC. (n.d.). Retrieved November 2, 2022, from https://thebusinessprofessor.com/en_US/communications-negotiations/listening-as-a-communication-tool



Comments

Popular Posts